It’s been two months since I started on the #Medtronic 530G pump and #Enlite CGM. I have to say, it was something I fully expected to just be able to just jump into and use with no issue at all. Go ahead.. laugh… I understand. While the pump’s operations are relatively the same (as far as bolus, basal, etc), the CGM is actually a very different thing than I remember the CGM being like with the old SofSensors.
Coming from the Dexcom and reading how the literature in the manual for the 530G’s Enlite was supposed to work, I thought it would be a simple transition, but there are some things that still hold true I’ve learned with the Enlite system. You do still need to have a schedule that you can stick to throughout the day to calibrate 4 times. For me, I find the best results come when I calibrate first thing in the morning, about an hour after that (so, when I wake up and then before I drive for work), at lunch, and then supper or bedtime. That, and making sure I don’t see ANY arrows ( I know the book allows for one, but I still don’t calibrate then) when I calibrate have helped tremendously.
One thing that Medtronic won’t… well… can’t (due to FDA) tell you is to explore other site locations. For me, my Dexcom was always a happy camper in my thigh. I never had issue there and it was out of the way. While my thigh would still be a good place for the Enlite, I have a very active (almost) 3 year old (GAH!) that I play with and he will inevitably knock the sensor in a way that would jar it and I would lose that sensor. For me, I’ve learned that my arms are my sweet spot for those. The problem is that it’s not always easy to insert there, and my hubby has to help me with it sometimes. Which, that’s okay because I’m finally getting full use out of the sensor and not having it zonk out after only a few days. For the past week and a half, I’ve had almost spot-on readings. Most of the sensor glucose values on my pump will be within 10mg/dL of my meter. And honestly, the amount even within 2 or 3 mg/dL have been uncanny. I’m hoping the trend continues and it’s not just because I’ve found a “sweet” spot for now.
Another hurdle I had to overcome was the taping issue. I’m allergic to the tape that they send so I had to find an alternative way to tape it. I know how to use Opsite pretty well and I don’t react to it, so I wanted to find a way to make it work. After trying various ways by myself and with the clinical nurse for Medtronic in my area, I think I have a solution… which is honestly nothing more than just buying the smaller 2″ width of Opsite (I had 4″ for my Dexcom sensors.. which was too wide) and cutting a piece the size of the Medtronic overtape, and cutting a hole in it similar to how the MedT overtape looks. By using that the same way you would use the supplied overtape and a thin long strip of the 4″ over the shell to hold it in place (since your arm isn’t flat, you sort of need something to keep the sides from catching on door ways, etc), It’s a pretty good system that has worked so far.
Most of all, I’ve learned to have patience with this system. If you take the time to learn it and don’t rush it, it can be used to your advantage. I’ve also learned that you can’t always follow everything exactly by the book. The instructions are meant to be there for the greater good of all of the customers as most are universal, but some things – like sensor placement and tape options – may have to be individualized…
and that’s okay.